It was decided to erect a new gateway to the Royal Pavilion grounds from the south as a permanent memorial in Brighton to the use of various buildings in the town for Indian soldiers wounded in the First World War. Read More »
The India Gate is a gift from the people of India to the inhabitants of Brighton and Hove as a thank you for caring for HER “SONS”. It was unveiled on the 26 October 1921 by H.H. the Maharaja of Patiala.
The inscription reads:
“This gateway is the gift of India in commemoration of her sons who – stricken in the Great War – were tended in the Pavilion in 1914 and 1915. Dedicated to the use of the inhabitants of the Brighton, B.N. Southall, Mayor”.
In replying His Highness said. “For many of those who had returned to India he had heard expressions of fervent gratitude for the attention and care lavished upon them by ‘Doctor. Brighton’, whose fame and skill as a healer and health restorer were talked of in many hundreds of remote Indian villages.”
The inscription has now faded and was replace by a wooden plaque in 2007.
On the 26th October 2011 for the first time in 90 years a memorial service was held at the India gate to mark the 90th anniversary of the unveiling,
In total the undivided India Army provided 1.27 million men to fight in Europe during the Great War. Over 12,000 Indian soldiers and 1,500 followers returned to “Doctor Brighton”.
Many buildings in the town were converted and specially adapted for the wounded Indian soldiers, including the Royal Pavilion, The Dome, Corn Exchange, Brighton General Hospital, and York Place School.
Further Information visit
View India Gate Brighton in a larger map