Designed in classical style by Thomas Saunders, the Chapel Royal was built in Prince’s Place in 1793-5 for Revd Thomas Hudson, Vicar of Brighton, as an alternative to the very cramped St Nicholas’s Church. Hudson hoped to attract the Prince of Wales to the new chapel, and it was His Royal Highness who laid the corner stone on 25 November 1793. The Prince and Princess of Wales were also present at the first service on 3 August 1795, but took exception to the sermon by Hudson and never worshipped there again. Read More »
The newly exposed south front was also rebuilt by Arthur Blomfield in 1879 and the clock tower and new entrances were added in 1882. The eastern facade still bears the original date of 1795 though, together with the royal arms.
There are extensive vaults, probably intended as a burial chamber, but used in the past as a store for adjacent wine merchants and booksellers.
http://black-history.org.uk/prodigy.asp The 9 year old child prodigy